To give you guys an idea on how I did that overpainting process.
I hope this helps~
I’m still studying this process, hopefully I’ll be able to be more comfortable using it.
1:26am pencil roughs
1:38am pencil roughs end
total hrs minus breaks: 80mins
And to make up for my lack of updates, I am uploading my process shots for my previous doodle la la la ~(º = º)~
I used a peach bg and started rough painting with white.
I made a new layer and set it to overlay using a bluish color. I then merged them to a single layer.
It felt pale so I made another layer [set to overlay], and painted with dark blood red [almost black]. Then I merged them. Suddenly I thought, a skull would be nice, then smoke, then a dead tree on the far background, then bits and speckles, just random shit. I added contrast by painting lighter bluish hues on areas that are being hit by the light source. After that I just ‘eyedropped’ anywhere on the canvas and painted more detail.
I added a new overlay layer and painted black on the edges. I also got annoyed with the mouth so I changed it. Merged them again to a single layer then I used layer texture - watercolor B and layer effect - fringe.
And tadaa~ barabingbaraboom /o/
I had fun with this painting, which is really my point in making dailydoodles. To loosen up before going to bed \(=.=)/
A lot of people have been asking me to make a tutorial. I am too busy and lazy to make one, and I find it hard to explain things. I’ve decided to just make a process breakdown on how I worked on an artwork.
I’m uploading a process flow of my piece EchoFreak.
Moving on, the first thing I did was work on my roughs for the piece using SAI.
Then I created a tight pencils layer.
Then I inked the characters using a reddish brown color, and a darker hue for the foreground.
I started coloring the characters. I colored Harleth first.
Then I colored Rad.
And the foreground.
I turned off the characters and foreground colors layer and worked on the background.
Then I added blood and white highlights on the characters’ eyes.
Lastly I added ghosts and mist. Also put some glowing shit. I then export it to Photoshop and played with the curves, levels, color balance, etc…
And tadaa, I’m done.
Hi guys! Chai here. Thought it would be better to put all the process photos into one post, for everyone’s convenience. *does not like flooding on her dashboard*
Hope it helps! :)